GATE 2022: GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a national level entrance exam conducted in eight zones across the country by the GATE Committee for admission to PG courses in the field of engineering and technology. Candidates can get admissions into M.Tech./Ph.D. programs in IITs, IISc, IISERs and other reputed institutions through GATE score. The GATE score is used for admissions to PG Programmes in institutes like IITs and IISc etc and PSUs also use the GATE scores for recruiting candidates for various prestigious jobs.
GATE 2022 Important Dates
|Commencement of Online Application Form||1st week of September 2021|
|Last Date of Application Form Submission||1st week of October 2021|
|Corrections in Application Form||2nd week of October 2021|
|Last Date to request for a change in examination city||3rd week of October 2021|
|Admit Card Availability||1st week of January 2022|
|GATE 2022 Exam Date||1st & 2nd Saturday & Sunday of February 2022|
|Answer Key Released On||Within a few days after the examination|
|Result Declaration||Last week of March 2022|
|Downloading of Score Card Begins||Last week of March 2022 to Last week of May 2022|
|Counselling Commence||2nd week of April 2022|
GATE 2022 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility to appear for the GATE exam is as follows:
|Qualification Required||Description About the Qualifying Degree||Year of Passing||Status of the Degree|
|B.Arch||5-years bachelor’s degree in Architecture||2022||Pursuing final year examination or completed|
|4-years B.Tech (after 10+2) in any stream or 3-years B.Tech lateral entry (after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology). Final year candidates may also apply.||2022||Pursuing final year examination or completed|
|Master’s degree in Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||2022||Currently in final year or completed|
|4-years Bachelor’s degree in Science (post-diploma or after 10+2)||2022||Pursuing final year examination or completed|
M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)
|5-years Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology||2022||Currently in 4th/5th year or completed|
|4-years Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology||Presently in 2nd/3rd/4th year or completed|
|Professional Society Examination equivalent to B.Tech/
|B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers India)||NA||Completed section A or equivalent of such professional
|Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated
B. S./M. S. program
|2022||Pursuing final year examination or completed|
- For women/SC/ST/PWD – Rs 750/-
- Other Candidates – Rs 1500/-
The correction fee is mentioned below:
- SC/ST to General/OBC is Rs.750/-.
- Female to Male/Others is Rs.750/-.
- PwD to Non-PwD is Rs. 750/.
- Examination city is Rs. 400/-.
GATE Registration will be available via online mode only. Candidates could complete their registration process through GOAPS. Candidate had to fill his/her personal details online. Candidate had to upload the certificate, scanned signature and photograph. Application fee payment could be processed through online or offline by net banking or debit card or e-challan.
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern
|General Aptitude||1 to 5||5||1||5|
|1 to 25||25||1||25|
|26 to 55||30||2||60|
|Total Questions: 65||Total Marks: 100||Total Duration : 3 hours|
|Technical Section :
|General Aptitude: 15 marks||Engineering Mathematics :
|25 marks to 40 marks will be allotted to Numeric Answer Type Questions|
|Questions Type||Marks||Negative Marking|
|Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||1 mark||0.33|
|Numerical Answer Questions||1 mark||Nil|
GATE Virtual Calculator
- The virtual calculator will be provided during online examination.
- It is the online calculator which contains all the operations and functions for carrying out calculations.
- No physical calculator will be allowed in the examination hall.
- For solving Numerical Answer Type Questions, students have to use the virtual calculator.
Papers to Apply for GATE
|Architecture and Planning||AR|
|Computer Science & Information Technology||CS|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Textile Engineering & Fibre Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY|
Types of Questions
This Exam consists of MCQ and Numerical Type Questions in all papers & sections. MCQ will contain 4 options, of which only one is correct. A numerical value entered using the mouse and virtual keyboard on the monitor for Numerical Type Questions. The following are a type of Questions:
- Recall: Based on facts, principles, formulae or laws of the discipline. A candidate is expected to be able to obtain the answer either at most from a one-line computation or from his/her memory directly.
- Comprehension: By requiring him/her to draw simple conclusions from fundamental ideas, these questions will test the candidate’s understanding of the basics of his/her field.
- Application: The candidate is expected to apply his/her knowledge either by logical reasoning or through computation.
- Analysis and Synthesis: These can be common data questions, in which two questions share the same data but can be solved independently of one another or the questions, where the answer to the first question of the pair is required in order to answer its successor.
- Common Data Questions: Questions linked to a common data problem, passage and the like. 2 or 3 questions can be formed from the given common data problem. Each question is independent and its solution obtainable from the above problem data/passage directly. Each question under this group will carry two marks.
- Linked Answer Questions: Problem-solving type, problem statement is followed by 2 questions based on the problem statement. 2 questions are designed such that the solution to the 2nd question depends upon the answer to the first one.